If you are ready to automate your WordPress backup with SmartFile, start the clock.
- Log into your WordPress website.
- Click the plugins menu.
- Click “Add New”
- Search for “Snapshot Backup“.
- Click “Install Now”.
- Click “Activate Plugin”.
- Click “Snapshot Backup” on the sidebar.
- Click “FTP settings” below Snapshot Backup on the sidebar.
- Enter your SmartFile FTP details.
- Click Test.
- You should see “Eureka – It works!” at the top.
- Click the Automation Link on the sidebar below FTP Settings.
- Choose “once every day”
- Click Snapshot Backup.
- Click Create New Snapshot button.
- Log into SmartFile and you’ll see the backup.
If you have a minute to spare, you can configure some additional settings like sub-directory in Snapshot Backup settings. You could configure a specific user for your new back up directory in SmartFile. Then, configure Snapshot Backup to use it’s own user. Now you have a more secure solution.
SmartFile can open .tar files right in the interface. This means that you can browse your backup and download select files right from SmartFile.
As with all plugins, be sure to do a backup before you install this plugin. For more information on Snapshot Backup please visit the plugin site http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/snapshot-backup/ and http://wpguru.co.uk/2011/02/snapshot-backup/
There are many other WordPress plugins that can use FTP as a backup method. If you find that Snapshot Backup does not meet your needs, please investigate other WordPress FTP Backup plugins. The author of Snapshot Backup also recommends, http://backwpup.com/