If you work in higher education, you understand the importance of protecting your files. You have so many documents you need to keep track of, including transcripts, grade reports, applications, essays, prior assignments, information related to teachers and professors, and so much more. That’s why you need to take advantage of a system that will make it easier for you to manage all of this information. SmartFile can help you do exactly that.
SmartFile makes it easy for you to transfer your files securely and conveniently across all locations throughout academia. Regardless of whether you are in your office, lecture hall, or laboratory, you will have access to all the information you need without sacrificing your security. You need to make it as easy as possible to accomplish two tasks: you need to protect your files from harm, and you need to make them easy to access from just about anywhere.
Some of the reasons why file management is so critical in the world of higher education include:
- Higher education is more spread out than it has ever been in the past. You need to make it easy for everyone involved to access the information they need.
- You need to ensure files are protected regardless of whether they are at rest or in transit.
- You need to ensure people can find what they need quickly and easily, which means prioritizing organization.
All of this will make it easier for you to manage all of your documents in an efficient manner. Keep reading to learn how SmartFile can make it easy for you to manage your files across multiple devices.
Unlimited File Size
One of the first benefits of using SmartFile is that you do not face limits on your file sizes. If you work in higher education, you deal with documents and files that can be incredibly large. You do not want to face limits on files you can upload and access. A few examples of large documents that could take up a lot of space include:
- Your students might submit large research papers that can take up a lot of space, particularly if they have multiple pages of bibliographies at the end.
- There are some situations where students may have to compile lab reports across multiple months and semesters. These files can get large as more information is added to them.
- There are also situations where students may have to present presentations. If these include many pictures and videos, the files can get large very quickly. You need to have a file management system that can store these files adequately.
- There are even some classes where students have to make videos. Videos are some of the largest files, and they can grow exponentially if there are multiple snippets and chapters. You need to have a file management system that can handle files of this size.
These are just a few of the many examples of files that can be particularly large in higher education. You need to keep track of these files, which is why it is important for you to have a system that can help you manage these documents quickly and easily. SmartFile can make this easier for you.
Advanced Sharing and Management
Another benefit of using SmartFile is that you will have access to advanced sharing, administration, management, and security tools. Even though you need to keep your files safe, you also need to control who has access to them. There might be some situations where you want to give people permission to look at your information.
For example, there might be situations where you need to send files to colleagues. If a student submits a research paper, you may want to get the opinion of a colleague who can shed some light on their research. You need to have a system that allows you to easily send that file to another person without sacrificing your security.
There are plenty of other file management tools you can access through SmartFile. For example, you may want to set multiple passwords for specific files to protect them from harm. Or, you may want to set download limits that control the amount of information someone can download at a single time. You may even want to put expiration dates on some of your files so that they are deleted automatically to make more room without you having to do anything.
These are just a few of the many benefits you can access if you decide to go with the file management system from SmartFile. With so many features, it is easy to see why this program can be so helpful to those who work in higher education.
You should also make sure you keep track of the individual versions of files you have on your storage system. You may have multiple people working on the same document simultaneously. You will need to merge all of these changes at some point, but you will have a lot of versions of the same file. You may have difficulty figuring out which one is the most recent.
That’s where the file versioning capabilities of SmartFile can be helpful. There are numerous situations where you might have multiple versions of the same file. They include:
- If you are working on a research project with a bunch of colleagues, everyone will have their own information to share. As a result, each person may have a different version of the same document.
- There might also be situations where you have students working on group projects together. You need to keep track of your student’s progress, but each student will have their own changes— creating multiple versions of the same file.
- You might also have students working with you in your research lab. They will have the information they need to save, but you might want to keep their information separate from yours.
Because there are so many versions of individual files, you do not want any of them to be accidentally overwritten. You could lose some really valuable information. If you decide to go with SmartFile, you will have access to advanced features that can help you keep track of individual versions, ensuring you understand which is the most recent one. You can also reduce the chances of someone overwriting one of the files you have on your server. Make sure you take advantage of the file versioning features provided by SmartFile. They are essential in higher education.
Security should be one of your top priorities in higher education. You have a lot of sensitive information on your computer, and you need to keep it safe. Of course, you need to have a password on your computer, but you may want to control who can access what. Don’t take an all-or-nothing approach. That is another situation where SmartFile can be beneficial.
SmartFile gives you the ability to create granular permissions. This means that you can control what documents certain people have access to. For example, you may want to give your colleagues access to your research on certain topics. On the other hand, you do not necessarily want to give students access to all of your advanced research.
Similarly, there may be some files you want your students to access. For example, if they are working on a research paper, you need to give them access to the files that they need. On the other hand, you do not want to ensure they aren’t granted access to your grade book in the process. You also do not want them to see the work of other students.
It can be challenging to find a file-sharing solution that can handle such a complicated situation, but SmartFile makes it easy for you to do exactly that. Our advanced features can facilitate your content management while also making it easy to control who has access to what. If you want to limit the access of particular students and colleagues to certain information you have, SmartFile will makes it easy.
Better yet, if someone happens to steal the password credentials from someone who has access to your files, that individual will not have access to all of your files. This is an essential part of risk management.
You never know how much your student body will grow in the future, and you need a system that can grow with them. You may produce more research, you may have more assignments to grade, and you may have more colleagues. You do not want to have to switch to a new file management system, and with SmartFile, you won’t have to.
A huge benefit to our system is that it is easily scalable. You can expand or shrink our file management system to meet your needs. If you are looking for a solution that can be completely customized to your requirements, then SmartFile is the way to go. Make sure you take advantage of one of the top systems in higher education and put SmartFile to work for you.
Supporting Education Through File Management
You need to have a reliable file management system that makes it easy to share documents with other people while also protecting them from harm. One of the best systems that can help you do precisely that is SmartFile. See for yourself how we help with secure file sharing and transfer solutions here.