During the past few years, a lot of companies have made the transition to a remote working environment. Particularly with the increased capabilities of the cloud, combined with some of the regulations and restrictions that were put in place for physical businesses, many businesses got used to having a solution that works for a remote environment. Now, a lot of businesses are starting to transition back to in-person work, and that means revisiting their file sharing solutions as well. For example, your company may benefit from on-premise file-sharing solutions that have been customized for your needs. Like any decision, it is important for you to consider the benefits and drawbacks of every option before you make a decision. Is an on-premise file sharing solution right for your company? There are a few important points to keep in mind.
What Is Meant by On-Premise File-Sharing Solutions?
First, it is important to define on-premise file sharing solutions. Just like some of the other solutions you might be familiar with, on-premise sharing solutions give your employees the ability to access work-related documents from different locations. For example, your employees do not necessarily have to worry about having a physical copy of the document on their computer. They can still access it from just about anywhere.
On the other hand, instead of these files being saved and hosted on the cloud, they are going to be hosted on your property. This means that copies of the files are going to be stored on servers located at your business. That is why it is called “on-premises.” You don’t necessarily need to worry about uploading or accessing specific files from the cloud, as you should always have access to files on your servers.
What Are the Top Benefits of File-Sharing Solutions on Your Premises?
Next, it is important to review some of the top benefits of on-premise file sharing solutions. If you decide to have servers on your property that host your files, there are several significant benefits you will enjoy. They include:
More Control Over Data Security Standards and Protocols
One of the first benefits of having an on-premise file-sharing solution is that you will have more control over your data security standards. If you decide to store your files on the cloud, there is no guarantee that the host has appropriate data security and protection measures in place. For example, if they have lackadaisical security standards, your files could be at risk of being stolen. With a physical server, you are in total control of the security standards you use. This means that you can make the system as secure as you would like.
In addition, do not neglect physical security. You never truly know where those cloud servers are going to be hosted. You don’t know if someone could break in and damage the servers, or if someone is going to break in and try to steal the files from the servers themselves. If you have physical servers on your property, you can put them under lock and key when you are not using them, meaning that you have additional physical security as well.
Better Control Regarding Compliance Issues
You might also be required to follow certain compliance standards, depending on the industry in which you operate. For example, if you deal with sensitive healthcare information, you could be required to comply with HIPAA. Or, if you do a lot of business with Europe, you might be required to comply with GPDR standards.
If you decide to use a cloud system, you may not know if it is compliant with the necessary privacy rules and regulations. You do not want to leave yourself vulnerable to fines and sanctions, which is why you might want to have physical servers on your property. That way, you make sure that you are compliant with all necessary rules and regulations.
Not Dependent on an Internet Connection
It is true that you can still use an internet connection to download files that are hosted on a physical server, but you are not necessarily dependent on that internet connection. If you don’t have a strong internet connection, you still have other options available.
If your files are hosted on the cloud, but you don’t have access to the internet, you will not be able to access them. Furthermore, if the connection is exceedingly slow, you might get frustrated waiting for your files to download. This can make it very difficult for your employees to get their work done, particularly if they are working remotely.
This is not necessarily something that you will have to worry about if your files are hosted on a physical server. Even if you are not connected to the internet, you can still get your files off the server using a physical connection. It is important to have a backup plan in place, and that is why a lot of organizations like having access to on-premise file sharing solutions.
You Control the Server Itself
Finally, do not overlook the importance of being in control of the server itself. This gives you access to a tremendous amount of freedom and flexibility. You can make sure that you stay up-to-date on all maintenance requirements, preventing the server from falling into a state of disrepair. Furthermore, if you need to create more space on the server, you don’t necessarily have to worry about sharing your space with another company. You can always expand the server or purchase another one if you need to create more space.
Ultimately, these are just a few of the many benefits you will enjoy if you decide to invest in on-premise file-sharing solutions. Remember that there are plenty of servers available, and you need to work with a company that will help you select the right ones to meet your needs.
The Potential Drawbacks of Having Your Own Servers On-Site
Even though there are plenty of reasons why you should consider investing in on-premise file sharing solutions, there are a few drawbacks you need to note as well. For example, there will be some significant upfront costs. You need to have the money available to purchase physical servers, and you must invest in the right security solutions. You might also have to hire your own IT personnel to help you manage the server and make sure that nothing goes wrong during the process.
Even after you get the server up and running, there are some additional expenses that you will encounter from time to time. For example, you will need to spend time and money making backup copies of all of the files on the server. That way, you don’t have to worry about losing them. You will also need to update the software used to manage the server from time to time. Do not forget that if something goes wrong with the server, you may have to handle a repair bill.
In many situations, the benefits of having on-premise file sharing solutions will outweigh these drawbacks, but this is a decision that you need to make for your own company. Keep in mind that you don’t necessarily have to go through this decision-making process on your own. You may want to reach out to a professional who can help you.
How To Choose the Right Company To Help You With Your File-Sharing Needs
If you are interested in setting up on-premise file sharing solutions, you need to choose the right company to help you. There are several factors you should consider when you are looking for an expert team to help you with on-premises file sharing. They include:
- Experience: You need to partner with a team that has a tremendous amount of experience in this area. That way, they can address potential obstacles ahead of time, making sure the setup process goes smoothly.
- Equipment: You should also work with a team that has access to the right equipment. There are plenty of servers from which you can choose, and you need to select the right equipment to help you put your company in a position to be successful.
- Granular Permissions: Do not forget that you need to set up granular permissions. What this means is that you need to make sure people only have access to files on the servers that they need to do their jobs. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t trust them, but it simply means that you don’t want to take unnecessary risks.
- Security: Cybersecurity is critically important when you are setting up on-premises file-sharing solutions. Even though you do have more control over the security of your servers, it also means that you need to put the right security protocol in place.
If you think about these factors carefully, you will select the right team to help you set up your file-sharing solution. At SmartFile, it would be our pleasure to help you with all of your file sharing needs.
The Benefits of Working With SmartFile
At SmartFile, we are proud to have become the gold standard in the industry. We have developed a sterling reputation because we always put the needs of our clients first. There are several reasons why our enterprise clients continue to partner with us. Some of the biggest reasons include:
- We can give you the ability to access your files off-site securely, making sure that your employees can still do their jobs without taking any unnecessary risks.
- We make it easy for you to export data when necessary through Syslog, and we can show you how to get the most out of this capability.
- We can also automate the complete file life cycle for you. That can help you save a tremendous amount of time and money.
- You will have the ability to share and exchange your files using a variety of protocols, including FTPS, SFTP, and HTTPS. We can help you find the right option for your company.
- You will be able to connect via a branded responsive portal, meaning that you never have to worry about any downtime or delays. You will always understand exactly what you need to do to access your files.
- We can also help you manage other types of cloud storage, making sure that your solution has been tailored to meet your needs. Because we have connections throughout the industry, we can help you find the right solution at the lowest possible price.
- We have a very responsive customer service team. We are always accessible, and we will address any questions or concerns you have as quickly as we can. That way, you can keep your business operations flowing with the help of our experts.
- We make sure that we stay on top of the latest developments in our industry. We invest in regular software updates to provide you with the best features and security protocols in the industry. Protecting your confidential information is our top priority.
Now, it would be our pleasure to help you as well. We can customize your file-sharing package to meet your expectations, making sure that all of your sensitive information is secure yet also accessible to those with the right credentials.
Partner With SmartFile for All of Your File-Sharing Needs Today
It is important for you to find the right file-sharing solution if you want to put your business in a position to be successful. At SmartFile, we have a tremendous amount of experience working with companies of all backgrounds. We will address all questions and concerns to help you keep your servers secure and operational. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you, contact us today to speak to a member of our team. Request a quote from our experts, and let us help you keep your files secure and accessible.